Welcome to Mandalay Technological University Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Mandalay Technological University Forum

ဴမန္မာအင္ဂဵင္နီယာမဵားဖိုရမ္

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ARM Core MCUs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ZawMinHt
Anonymous

ARM Core MCUs Empty
PostSubject: ARM Core MCUs   ARM Core MCUs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2006 6:02 am

ARM core MCUs are very popular these days. These are 32 bit MCUs with single clock cycle instruction RISC. So they execute very fast . They have built-in pipe line mechanism for instruction fetch and decode. Major advantages are their wide data bus(32bit), their speed and low power consumptions(which is suitable for mobile devices). Intel's StrongArm micros are used a lot in Pocket PCs. But on the other side, 32 bit instruction size means 4 bytes for an instruction (except for THUMB), resulting in 4 times the storage requirements compared to 8 bit MCUs. It may be a downside. But today's memory price war makes the ARM lovers happier than ever. Anyway embedded engineers has to balance to pros and cons of 8 bit , 16 bit and 32 bit MCUs. Some times, microchips' odd bits (eg, 14bits) RISC may become a chioce for a product.

Today there are many compilers available on the market . You can get free GNU compiler collections for arm. (www.gnuarm.com)

Simulation is part of Embedded programming. Commercially available packages can be used to do the work. But it may not be the right choice some times (because of Price and lack of cracks). For those , here is the open source GDB simulator for arm.

http://www.skyeye.org

OR
go directly to sourceforge

http://sourceforge.net/projects/skyeye

In fact skyeye was previously called GDB ARMulator. Many old documents still refer to the name GDB ARMulator. Notice that it is now 'SkyEye'.

Enjoy Embedded World !!
Smaller is better .........

to be continued....

Topic written by ZMH
Back to top Go down
YanNaingAye
LEVEL '3'
LEVEL '3'
YanNaingAye

Male
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2006-10-25

ARM Core MCUs Empty
PostSubject: ARM simulator   ARM Core MCUs Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2006 12:56 am

Hi Zaw Min Htut,
Thanks for free simulator link! As an amateur in ARM, I cannot afford Keil tools except evaluation version. hee hee... ( I did ask quotation for compiler+simulator+debugger and they cost about 5,000,000 kyats)
Back to top Go down
http://yan9aye.blogspot.com/
bobowaimg
LEVEL '5'
LEVEL '5'
bobowaimg

Male
Number of posts : 209
Batch if MIT (if not simply fill YIT) : last
Registration date : 2006-10-24

ARM Core MCUs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARM Core MCUs   ARM Core MCUs Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2006 7:42 am

pls carry on with this topic.... though i dont hv much knowledege abt ARM.. i am quite familiar with this... cos in my wimax field, ARM compatible XScale processor is so hot... cos it is also somehow linked to the Intel's future...and wimax too... though ARM can be main driving force for mobile wimax deployment.... we still need to see some technology development in the context of ARM....

so where ARM technology development leads to....?
Back to top Go down
http://bobowaimg.blogspot.com
ZawMinHt
Anonymous

ARM Core MCUs Empty
PostSubject: LPC Catch for designers   ARM Core MCUs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2006 11:08 am

For one of my projects,

I made a design using Philips (NXP) LPC2xxx variants with ARM7 core. Philips says the MCU can be clocked up to 70 MHz using internal PLL. Some of it's competitors cannot run that fast for the same price. But the issue was if we want to run the Core at that speed, we need 14 MHz crystal ( for exact 70 MHz CCLK ) based upon PLL specs. The problem was 14MHz was not as common as let's say 12 MHz(which gives 60MHz CCLK). But it's is not a problem at all for evaluation or test purpose. Some crystal companies even do not make 14 MHz. Some make it but not many different load capacitances. So it is a rare part compared to others. In addition , PLLs normally do not allow all combinitions of crystal frequencies and CCLK because of CCO's limitations . Whenever you are concerned with MCU speeds and crystals, be careful with those catches ( I mean for production purposes ).
Back to top Go down
Kyaw Naing Oo
LEVEL '1'
LEVEL '1'
Kyaw Naing Oo

Male
Number of posts : 27
Batch if MIT (if not simply fill YIT) : 8th Batch
Registration date : 2006-10-25

ARM Core MCUs Empty
PostSubject: Hello Mr. Zaw Min Htut   ARM Core MCUs Icon_minitimeTue Nov 07, 2006 2:19 pm

Thanks for the ARM Link! I am interested in ARM and can't effort the cost for kit. So your link is useful for me.
Back to top Go down
bobowaimg
LEVEL '5'
LEVEL '5'
bobowaimg

Male

ARM Core MCUs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARM Core MCUs   ARM Core MCUs Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2006 8:17 pm

ZawMinHtut wrote:
For one of my projects,

I made a design using Philips (NXP) LPC2xxx variants with ARM7 core. Philips says the MCU can be clocked up to 70 MHz using internal PLL. Some of it's competitors cannot run that fast for the same price. But the issue was if we want to run the Core at that speed, we need 14 MHz crystal ( for exact 70 MHz CCLK ) based upon PLL specs. The problem was 14MHz was not as common as let's say 12 MHz(which gives 60MHz CCLK). But it's is not a problem at all for evaluation or test purpose. Some crystal companies even do not make 14 MHz. Some make it but not many different load capacitances. So it is a rare part compared to others. In addition , PLLs normally do not allow all combinitions of crystal frequencies and CCLK because of CCO's limitations . Whenever you are concerned with MCU speeds and crystals, be careful with those catches ( I mean for production purposes ).

well , let me ask u abt crystal...
i am currenly doing the cognitive radio communication part with adaptive frequency selection... that's basically abt monitoring environmental frequencies and select the available frequencies what other devices dont use.... so i need to change my frequencies of raido modules occasionally.. my RF board has different frequencies crystals which drive the board radio frequencies... my board is Software defined radio.. so i dont need to know abt the crytals and how they work... just need to provoke some Frequency PHY API... thats all. but i find out that when i change them (parameters of frequency) often.. abt 4 times and performance become degraded sharply.... i feel that it should be related to crystal things.... what do u think.........?
Back to top Go down
bobowaimg
LEVEL '5'
LEVEL '5'
bobowaimg

Male

ARM Core MCUs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARM Core MCUs   ARM Core MCUs Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2006 8:17 pm

ZawMinHtut wrote:
For one of my projects,

well , let me ask u abt crystal...
i am currenly doing the cognitive radio communication part with adaptive frequency selection... that's basically abt monitoring environmental frequencies and select the available frequencies what other devices dont use.... so i need to change my frequencies of raido modules occasionally.. my RF board has different frequencies crystals which drive the board radio frequencies... my board is Software defined radio.. so i dont need to know abt the crytals and how they work... just need to provoke some Frequency PHY API... thats all. but i find out that when i change them (parameters of frequency) often.. abt 4 times and performance become degraded sharply.... i feel that it should be related to crystal things.... what do u think.........?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ARM Core MCUs Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARM Core MCUs   ARM Core MCUs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ARM Core MCUs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to Mandalay Technological University Forum :: Computer Software and Programming :: Microcontrollers and Embedded Programming Languages-
Jump to: